At Meatless Monday I spend most of my time reaching out to chefs and restaurateurs inviting them to join the Meatless Monday movement. Did you know a recent survey revealed that two-thirds of respondents would “absolutely” choose a restaurant that offers Meatless Monday options…and they would even tote their friends and family along? Not only is Meatless Monday good for our health and the health of the planet, it can also mean good business for you.
A recent survey revealed that two-thirds of respondents would ‘absolutely’ choose a restaurant that offers Meatless Monday options.
Restaurants and chefs interested in promoting Meatless Monday often wonder how it can help their business, what dishes to serve, how to market the program, and how to design their menu. For this reason, we have put together a list of FAQs to help restaurants easily adopt Meatless Monday every week.
Why should I run Meatless Monday in my restaurant?
Participating in Meatless Monday can increase your business, reduce costs, and show the public your commitment to public health and global sustainability. Some of the other benefits of being a part of our global movement include:
– Driving customers to your business on a typically slow day
– Showcasing your chef’s recipes and creative cooking style using vegetables to create meatless dishes
– Generating press coverage and social media buzz
Do I need to take meat off my menu for Meatless Monday?
No! Many participating restaurants simply include Meatless Monday specials or highlight the meatless dishes they already offer.
Is there any cost to participating in Meatless Monday?
There is no cost or licensing agreement to participate or to use Meatless Monday resources and logos. We have chosen to make this program as easy as possible to get involved in.
What are some of the different ways that I can run Meatless Monday in my restaurant?
There are many ways to personalize Meatless Monday for your business. Choose and test which ways work best for your team and customers, such as:
– Highlight vegetarian dishes (while keeping meat dishes on your menu).
– Add vegetarian dishes as Monday-only specials.
– Create your own Meatless Monday tasting menu.
Participating in Meatless Monday can increase your business, reduce costs, and show the public your commitment to public health and global sustainability.
– Build promotions around Meatless Monday (e.g., buy one Meatless Monday meal, get one free).
– Educate your wait staff on how to recommend Meatless Monday to customers based on the benefits to personal health and the health of the planet.
– Design your own approach with help from the Meatless Monday team.
Do I need to create a separate menu for Meatless Monday?
No! Meatless Monday is flexible. Restaurants participating in the program have used a range of promotions from highlighting existing meatless menu items to creating entirely new menus with wine pairings. We’ll help you get started and share examples of what has worked in the past for other participants.
How do I run a successful social media promotion to increase Meatless Monday traffic to my restaurant?
You can use your social media accounts to promote Meatless Monday in your restaurant. Here are some ideas:
– Post photos of the the dishes you’re preparing or the fruits and vegetables you are using as ingredients.
– Share recipes for dishes you’ll be showcasing.
– Use the hashtag #MeatlessMonday and tag @MeatlessMonday in your posts (we love sharing them through our social media).
– If you’d like help setting up your campaign, let us know. We can share examples and further tips. Click here for examples of successful campaigns.
Am I allowed to use the Meatless Monday logo for marketing and promotion at my restaurant?
Absolutely! The Meatless Monday logo and promotional resources are all free for participants to download, print, and use. You can adjust our resources by adding your logo, or add the Meatless Monday logo to your existing menu/materials. Click here for free resources.
We’d also love to send you a free Meatless Monday window/door cling to let customers know of your participation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request one.
Which other chefs/influencers support Meatless Monday?
Many chefs and influencers promote and support Meatless Monday such as Mario Batali, Marcus Samuelsson, Michael Symon, Joe Bastianich, Sarah Moulton, Mark Bittman, John Fraser, Jason Weiner, Ivy Stark, Bill Telepan, Mary Sue Milliken, Susan Feniger, Scott Uehlein, Matt Weingarten…to name a few!
Do you have examples of Meatless Monday menus and specials?
Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Dana Smith is Director of Restaurant and Chef Partnerships at Meatless Monday