The holidays may draw memories of home cooked meals and pies made from scratch, but that is quickly changing. With the introduction of food delivery services, consumers can have high quality meals delivered to them in no time at all. This means that they don't have to sacrifice great tasting food for their families over the holiday season while also saving themselves time and effort.
And for restaurants, this trend is great news. While holidays tend to be a slow day in any industry, the sheer amount of food delivery orders being placed over this time period means that restaurant owners have the potential to boost sales without having customers in-house at all.
To take a look at this new food trend, Postmates took a look at their internal data and surveyed consumers across the nation on their holiday habits. And it seems that while not everyone orders out for the holiday season, they are using delivery services in other ways as well:
- 48 percent of Americans often forget a key ingredient for holiday dinner.
- 10 percent admitted to always forgetting something important for their holiday feast.
- Desserts, appetizers and main courses are the most likely items to get delivered.
- Postmates saw a 95 percent increase in orders throughout December from 2017 to 2018.
- Postmates orders over Christmas week from 2017 to 2018 increased by 123 percent.
- The most likely food to get ordered on Christmas Day? Coke, garlic naan and french fries in 2018.
- 2017 saw a huge spike in orders of tacos on Christmas Day.