Restaurants are presenting healthier and more sustainable menu items, incorporating CBD and are turning to eCommerce channels to expand their brand presence.
Those were among the insights revealed in hospitality platform BentoBox’s 2019 Year in Review. Highlighting the latest digital trends for the hospitality industry, the data was gathered from more than 5,000 restaurants, 100,000 menu items, 117,000 online transactions, and 511 million website visits. Data was culled from customers in all 50 states and 27 countries.
Here are a few highlights:
- 130 percent increase in plant-based, meat alternatives
- 109 percent increase in spirit-free cocktail options
- 70 percent more CBD menu options
In terms of website traffic, customers are using their mobile devices more than ever to visit their favorite restaurants online. In 2020, not having a mobile-friendly restaurant website is no longer an option. Here are the latest stats:
- 65 percent of restaurant website visitors come from mobile devices (35 percent from desktop)
- 12 percent increase since 2018
When it comes to eCommerce, more than just a meal, restaurants are expanding into lifestyle brands that meet the needs of their local community and their super fans from afar. Some topline items:
Most popular item being sold on a restaurant website: Ichiran Ramen Kit
Most expensive item sold on a restaurant website: $718 Ultimate Meat Collection from Duke’s Premium Meats
- 150 percent increase in restaurants offering food, bev and DIY kits for sale
- 4x more shirts for sale than hats
More than ever, consumers turn to restaurants for celebrations and gatherings. Be it a national holiday, or a gift just because, here are some of the ways customers revel with restaurants:
- Thanksgiving is the top holiday for restaurant catering orders
- Most popular holiday for reservations: Mother’s Day
- Holiday with most last-minute reservations: Valentine’s Day
- Top reasons for gift card giving: 1. Birthdays 2. Holiday Gifting 3. Thank Yous 4. Anniversaries 5. Just Because
For the full report, check out BentoBox’s 2019 Year in Review. Scroll down for the most popular menu items across the country.